Highways Filming

Road Ahead Closed © KFO

Handheld Shots, GVs, Vox Pops and Links

If you have a crew of up to 10 people with a camera and a tripod looking to film on Kent’s public highway or a public footpath, please go to our  Contact Us page and fill in a Filming Request and we shall arrange permissions with Kent Highway Services, Kent Police and local authorities for you. If you are a student, please go to our Student Portal and take it from there.

Please note that Kent County Council requires anyone using the public highway for filming to have Public Liability Insurance for at least £5,000,000 and a risk assessment. Please email a copy of your PLI to filmoffice@kent.gov.uk and carry your risk assessment on the day of filming.

Street lighting and furniture

If you would like to manipulate lighting columns, Kent Highways Services require the number of the street column(s) you wish to change. They also need sight of the G39 qualification of anyone working on the column(s) in question.

If you would like to remove/change any street furniture, Kent Highway Services need TM plans indicating exactly what the requirements for change is. Removing or covering of street furniture needs to be undertaken by a Kent Highways Services approved contractor who will then seek a Permit to Work under Section 50, New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

You can apply for both services through the Kent Film Office and if you require our engineers to attend, please give plenty of notice as this needs to be fitted around everyday operation and charged at cost.

Traffic Management and Road Closures

In July 2010 Kent County Council were granted the powers to close sections of the public highway for the purposes of filming under the Kent (Filming on Highways) Act 2010.

The legislation allows for varying methods to achieve this, depending on the location requested and the type and extent of the filming proposed.

As a first step, we suggest you discuss your proposals with the Kent Film Office who will then consult with Kent Highway Services, Kent Countryside Access and Kent Police to decide which option is most suited to your needs.

Once you have decided to go ahead, please complete one of the enclosed forms to make a formal application and return it to Kent Film Office, along with an email scan of a Purchase Order made out to Kent County Council.

Please find below:

  • An application form for using the highway for filming
  • Guidance notes and conditions to make an application
  • Kent Permit Scheme details

Depending on the type and extent of the closure, the production company will be liable for the following charges:

  • Kent Permit Scheme costs
  • Kent Highway Services administration charge for making the order
  • Statutory advertising of any Traffic Orders
  • Costs relating to traffic management

Please choose from the following and observe the notification periods needed prior to the intended date of filming, so that your application can be processed in time.

KCC PERMIT – stop/go traffic management

For any use of the highway or public rights of way requiring traffic management due to obstruction. Minimum 5 working days’ notice.

*HIGHWAYS COST- £100 – £500 dependent on the road classification. 

PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY COST – £150 inclusive of signage.

FILM NOTICE – closure up to 24 hours

For any closure up to 24 hours of the highway or public rights of way. Minimum 3 week’s notice.


PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY COST – £260 inclusive of signage.

FILM ORDER – closure up to 7 days

For any closure between 2 – 7 days of the highway or public rights of way. Minimum of 6 -12 week’s notice.


PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY COST – £410 inclusive of signage.

In addition to the above:
•        Statutory Advertising – at cost, as invoiced once known
•        Amendments – Administration Charge of £250 for any amendments needed after a Film Order has been approved and advertised

Note that any charges are non-refundable.

Permissions will be granted dependant on road or public right of way classification and prior works.

Please note, all of the above costs are net value and are VAT exempt.

*Costs for Highways closures do not include traffic management plans, signage and licenced operatives for traffic management. Please see below for a list of authorised traffic management companies that can provide you with the above.


Late fees are charged on top of fees for Film Permits, Notices and Orders:



Most officers facilitating filming requests do so above the job they are usually tasked with by the council, so have to schedule dealing with requests into their normal working day. Therefore, the Kent Film Office has devised the above deadlines in which permits can be achieved to give film companies maximum flexibility, while at the same time giving officers reasonable timeframes in which to process requests.

Whenever a project is late in applying for a permit, we reserve the right to withhold filming permission.

If we decide that we are able to process your request within an emergency timeframe, we will raise the above emergency request fees, which compensate officers having to work extra hours or re-scheduling their other commitments to process your application to film on the public highway or footpath.

Traffic Control

Any traffic control to support closures made under the Kent (Filming on Highways) Act 2010, will as a first choice be achieved through employing a traffic management company with authorised operatives.

Kent Police officers will only attend closures when the level of filming activity demands this. For example, due to health and safety concerns or fear of crowds.

To apply for a closure, please contact the Kent Film Office on 03000 422 000 to discuss your requirements.

Download the Application Form

Download the Guidance Notes

Click here for a interactive map of all Traffic Management Companies In Kent


Paul Smith

Kent County Council Highways Depot

Canterbury Road


ME13 8LY

Telephone: 01795 538342

07711 904484



R Marchant & Sons Ltd

Glebe Road Weald SEVENOAKS TN14 6PA

Telephone : 01732 463402

A.R. Cook & Son (Plant Hire) Ltd Hanson Yard, Liphook Way 20-20 Industrial Estate St Laurence Avenue Allington MAIDSTONE ME16 0LL

Telephone : 01622 662816

Peter Mackelden Civil Engineering Ltd

Dray Corner Industrial Centre Four Oaks Road Headcorn ASHFORD TN27 9PB

Telephone : 01622 891769

Brooker & Rootes 7 Stockton Close Penenden Heath MAIDSTONE ME14 2DW

Telephone : 01622 688956

Steadline Ltd

Detling Aerodrome Industrial Estate Detling MAIDSTONE ME14 3HU

Telephone : 01622 734101

Casement Traffic Management

Chestfield, WHITSTABLE CT5 3QT

Telephone: 01227 366000


32-34 Henwood Green Road Pembury TUNBRIDGE WELLS TN2 4LG

Telephone : 01892 822223

F M Conway Ltd

Conway House Rochester Way DARTFORD DA1 3QY

Telephone : 020 8636 8822

W Sheaf Contractors Ltd

4 Saddlers Park Eynsford DARTFORD DA4 0HA

Telephone : 01322 864219

Hanson Quarry Products Europe Ltd

Hanson Construction Projects Johnson’s Wharf Crossways Boulevard GREENHITHE DA9 9AD

Telephone : 01322 620300

Walker Construction (UK) Ltd

Park Farm Road FOLKESTONE CT19 5DY

Telephone : 01303 851111

Lorac Associates Traffic Management

Unit 1 & 2, Nash Hall High Ongar Essex CM5 9NL

Telephone : 0208 166 5111