Student Filming Guidelines


The Kent Film Office offers you a one stop shop for all your filming needs. We can contact the local district councils, Kent Highways and Kent Police to gain permission for you to film on the public highways.

Student How ToIf you wish to film on private land then you need to contact the location owners and explain what it is you plan to do. There might also be a location fee, so please remember to factor that into your budget.

We can also offer you advice on the best areas to film, send you information on the legal requirements of filming in Kent, as well as only being a phone call away for any general advice you might need. 

Take a look at the process for getting permission to film by clicking on the picture to the left or download the how to guide for students.

What we need from you:

To arrange your filming permission we need the following from you:

  • Please visit the student contact us pageand fill in the form detailing where you want to film, the times and dates you will be filming and a brief description of what the filming entails. If you have any special requirements, such as actors in police uniforms, night scenes, etc. we will need to know all this information.
  • A copy of your college or universitys’ Public Liability Insurance (PLI), covering you for at least £5 million. Without this, NO permission will be granted.
  • If you have special requirements we will also need to see a copy of your risk assessment.
  • The Kent Film Office needs to receive all the above information TWO WEEKS prior to your first filming day.

If you have any questions or just want to talk though your project, please contact us on or 03000 422 000