est kent Kent is a vibrant county and in demand as a filming location. It has played host to many productions such as Sherlock Holmes, World War Z, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Tunnel, True Love, and The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses.
Kent’s universities and colleges provide an ideal location to study, with excellent track records and facilities. We believe our higher education institutes are second to none.
Below is a list of Kent’s higher education media courses, particularly focusing on the areas of TV and Film Production, Photography and Film Studies. We have included courses ranging from NVQ level 3 to postgraduate from various institutions in Kent to give you a flavour of what is on offer.
Canterbury College offers many courses in creative media ranging from A Levels right through to higher education.
For more information please visit: http://www.cant-col.ac.uk/studying-with-us/Courses/full-time/media
East Kent College (formerly Thanet College) offers a course that applies to the whole multimedia industry. This includes the students being introduced to new technologies, latest skills and working practices.
- Level 3 Film and Television Production
- Level 2 Art & Design/Photography/Interactive Media
- Level 3 Photography and Digital Imaging
- Level 3 Photography
- Level 3 Creative Media (Interactive Media)
For more information please visit: https://www.eastkent.ac.uk/subject/media
North Kent College is a college of Further and Higher Education with campuses in Dartford and Gravesend. The college offers various Creative Media courses.
- Creative Media Prod TV & Film (Year 2)
- Creative Media Production Broadcast & Comm (Year 1)
- Creative Media Production Broadcast & Comm (Year 2)
- Creative Media Production TV & Film (Year 1)
MidKent College has campuses in Medway and Maidstone and offers A Level and further education courses as well as part-time/evening courses.
- Level 2 Progression in Hair & Media Make-up (Medway)
- Level 2 Progression in Hair & Media Make-up (Maidstone)
- Level 3 Professional in Beauty Therapy – Theatrical, Special Effects & Hair & Media Make-up (Medway)
- Level 2 Certificate in Creative Media Production (Medway)
- Level 2 Certificate in Creative Media Production (Maidstone)
- Level 3 Diploma in Creative Media Production (Medway)
- Level 3 Diploma in Creative Media Production (Maidstone)
For more information please visit: http://www.midkent.ac.uk/courses/subject-areas/media
Canterbury Christ Church University – the main campus is in Canterbury but also has schools in Broadstairs and Folkestone. They offer a range of courses from foundation degree to undergraduates.
For more information please visit: http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/arts-humanities/MediaArtAndDesign/
University for the Creative Arts is a specialist university for the creative industries, including film. They have campuses in Rochester and Maidstone as well as Epsom and Farnham which are both in Surrey.
- Animation (Farnham)
- Arts & Media (Farnham)
- Television Production– 1 year top-up delivered with The Maidstone Studios
- Computer Animation Arts
- Computer Games Arts (Farnham)
- Computer Animation Arts
- Digital Film & Screen Arts (Farnham)
- Documentary Practices (Farnham)
- Film Production (Farnham)
- Film Production | Four year (Farnham)
- Illustration & Animation
- Journalism and Media Production (Farnham)
- Photography (Farnham)
- Television Production
For more information please visit: http://ucreative.ac.uk/film
University of Kent has campuses in Medway and Canterbury, and offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses:
- MA in Film Studies
- MA Film Paris (allows you to split your studies between Canterbury and Paris)
- Film Practice by Research
For more information please visit: https://www.kent.ac.uk/arts/
West College (formerly K College) offers A Level and further education courses that are based in Dover and Tonbridge.
- Drama and Theatre Studies
- Film Studies
- Creative Media Production BTEC Level 1 Diploma
- Creative Media Production BTEC Level 2 Diploma
- Creative Media Production BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Photography – BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
For more information please visit: http://westkent.ac.uk/courses-in-kent/media-a-photography.html
For information about the various education levels please visit: https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean
‘The content provided in the prospectus is not meant to convey details of every media course in the county but to provide an overview of the exciting range of courses on offer. The Kent Film Office and Kent County Council are not liable for any decisions based on the content of the prospectus and all information provided should be checked with the individual universities and colleges where further details including the application process will be available – contact details are in the prospectus.’