Filming With Children

image of a row of children in school uniform walking towards a blue minibus on snowy grass

Children filming in Cobham © KFO


Working with children performers, actors and supporting actors is regulated by various pieces of legislation dating from 1933 to the most recent amendments in 2014.

It is an offence to contravene these laws and you require a Children’s Performance License from the local authority where the child resides.

A child is anyone who has not reached their 18th year or completed year 11.

Please use this checklist:

  • Does work take place on licensed premises?
  • Is work broadcast, filmed or recorded for public exhibition?
  • Is charge being made (even if there is no admission charge) for the work?
  • Does the child perform for more than 3 days in 6 months?
  • Is the child being paid?
  • Does the child require time off from school?

If answer to any of the above is YES, you must get a Child Performance License, which is free of charge, and you can download the form from the KCC’s Children In Entertainment Website.

If the answer is NO, there are still various regulations regarding working time and hours for children of varying ages you will need to observe. Have a look at KCC’s Children In Entertainment Website, which tells you all that you need to know and includes FAQs and downloadable forms.

If you are using children for any substantial amount of time, you are advised to employ a chaperone and a tutor if they miss school days. For shorter periods of time, parent or legal guardian may function as a chaperone to their children.

If you are still stuck, get in touch with us on 03000 422 000 or email and we’ll connect you with one of our officers who can help you with the process.