Director: Michael Ferguson
Writer: David Whitaker
Starring: Jon Pertwee, Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney, William Dysart, John Abineri
Production Company: BBC
Kent Locations Used: Northfleet Quarry & LaFarge Cement Works
The Ambassadors of Death (1970) is the third serial in the seventh series of Doctor Who. When two astronauts on the Mars Probe Seven lose contact with Earth, the Doctor and United Nations Intelligence Taskforce (UNIT) must investigate. When the astronauts finally return, the Doctor suspects that they may, in fact, be aliens and is soon caught in a government conspiracy.
The serial was directed by Michael Ferguson (Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos (1971), The Sandbaggers) and written by David Whitaker (Doctor Who – The Enemy of the World (1968), Showtime). It stars John Pertwee (Doctor Who – Inferno (1970), Carry On Cleo) as the Doctor, Caroline John (Love Actually, P.R.O.B.E The Zero Imperative) as his companion Liz Shaw, Nicholas Courtney (Doctor Who – Mind of Evil (1971), Incendiary) as the Brigadier, William Dysart (The Last Shot You Hear, Edward the Seventh) as Reegan and John Abineri (The Last of the Mohicans, Robin of Sherwood) as General Charles Carrington.
Filming for the serial took place at the former Northfleet Quarry and Lafarge Cement Works. The Quarry doubles as the exterior of the Space Centre in Episodes 4, 6 & 7 of the serial, and the Cement Works feature in Episode 3, doubling as the Quarry where Reegan buries two dead workers in the shingle.
The site of the old Northfleet Works had been used for cement production since 1853, but was formerly opened under its new name in 1970 and later incorporated an existing quarry to the south. It is now no longer operational
Doctor Who – The Ambassadors of Death (1970) aired on BBC1 from Saturday 21st March 1970 to Saturday 2nd May 1970 and is currently available to purchase on DVD.
For more information about Kent’s Filming History please visit our Movie Map.